Our Basic Survival Kit is out now 🇩🇰

All the survival knowledge you need for your first weeks in Denmark. Shopping, taxes, work or university life.
Download Now
Oct 13, 2019

Just arrived in Denmark To Study? 4 Essentials You Need

Jaroš Vyhňák
Are you a student who just moved to Denmark to study? What is CPR and NemID and do you need it? We will go through 4 essentials that you need.

1. Getting the CPR number

"CPR stands for Det Centrale Personregister, which translates to the Civil Registration System."

CPR is a number that all residents in Denmark have, which serves as a link between the residents and the Danish government.

It is created by 10 digits, first 6 is your birthday while the last 4 digits are unique to all residents. Females are even, males are uneven.

Once you have it, you can start receiving salary, pay taxes, set up a bank account or borrow books from the library.

You will also receive the yellow card (Sundhedskort/Sygesikringsbevis), which serves as your ID. This card includes your information, phone number to a general practitioner and as your health insurance.

To receive a CPR number you need to meet a couple of conditions:

  • You plan to stay in Denmark for more than 3 months
  • You have the EU residence document (for EU + Nordic countries)
  • You have a residence permit (for non-EU citizens)
  • You have a place to stay

2. Creating your bank account and NemID

Once you get your CPR number, you can proceed to the nearest bank and set up your bank account. Afterward, you will receive your NemID

NemID is one common log-in for both public and private self-service solutions and for your online banking."

This means that aside from your banking, you can reach SKAT to handle your taxes or Borger.dk to handle your housing and much more through NemID, which functions as your digital signature. You can also get your NemID through either:

The NemID can be used either in the paper form or as an app on your phone.

3. Setting up your NemKonto

NemKonto translates to easy account, which is exactly how it functions.

"All citizens and companies registered in Demark are required to have a NemKonto. A NemKonto is a normal bank account that you assign as your NemKonto."

NemKonto serves as a central bank account, where you can receive money from the government and other reimbursements.

Income such as Tax refunds, SU, loans, unemployment benefit, pensions and housing support will be transferred to your NemKonto.

There are multiple ways to sign your account as a NemKonto.

  • As a private person, you can do it by yourself on NemKonto.dk
  • Or you can call your bank and inform them which account you want to use
  • The last option is using your foreign account, this is, however, more complicated

4. Getting your tax card ready

Now when you have all the things from above, you can start working at your first student job.

However, you won't receive a penny without the famous danish taxation and you need a tax card for that.

To do so, you need to contact SKAT and ask them to set it up for you.

You will have to give an estimation of how much you expect to earn in a year and they will assign you into a certain tax group.

For most people, the tax is going to be 38% of their salary. This is calculated after you subtract another 8% from your hard earned salary for the labor market contribution.

Also, every year in May you need to fill out your taxes. Luckily your employer gives information about your work directly to SKAT, so you in theory don't have to fill anything by yourself, however, we recommend that you look through your number before end of May. If you wish to learn more about taxes, please visit skat.dk

Now you should have an idea about the essentials to get fixed when coming to Denmark. If you manage to follow these steps, you should be able to establish your student life in no time.

Image source:
Jaroš Vyhňák
I came to Denmark in August 2015 with a vision. I wanted to study, work, receive some government support, get a degree, and leave back to the Czech Republic. Aside from studying, nothing went according to plan. It took me many months to settle down the way I wanted to, and somewhere in the process, I fell in love with this country. Now I would like to give something back. Not only did I fall in love in Denmark, but also with Latin dances, which became my life passion. Aside from that, I enjoy a good beer, even better company, and other basic things in life.‍
All posts from author
Student Survival Guide is a non-profit project, started by university students in Denmark. We want to help other students, who struggle with things we've already been through and gained knowledge about. If you want to support us, consider following our Facebook page or YouTube channel. Leave a comment or like, so we can see that our work is paying off.
Thank you,